At Chocholistic, we use a combination of high-antioxdant fruit, roots, mushrooms, seeds, and other exotics to create our sugar-free, superfood chocolate.
Superfoods get their title of “Super” from being extremely high in antioxidants – the nutrients that help our body fight inflammation, disease and aging. These antioxidants are measured on the ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) Scale.
The higher the number on the ORAC Scale, the more powerful that food is for your body. For example, a traditional high-antioxidant food, blueberries, have 2,400 ORAC units per 100g. This is pretty good for your grocery store aisle! Blueberries are definitely a healthy food, but they aren’t a superfood.
Now take goji berries (a pink Chinese berry found in our Goji Superfruit flavor) which have 25,300 ORAC units per 100g. Another step further, raw cacao (chocolate) has about 98,000 ORAC units per 100g. These, my friends, are superfoods.
With this knowledge, CHOCHOLISTIC set out to create healthy raw chocolate that’s filled with a delicious variety of high antioxidant, disease fighting, health enhancing superfoods.
Please enjoy this Superfood Guide in helping you to make the best choices for you and your health.
And know that there’s a Chocolate Company out there (us!) that strives on bringing these foods to you too – in the most enjoyable way.
- Protects body from disease and free radials Liver and kidney detox
- Amino acids
- Oleic acid
- Health skin
- Weight loss
- Antibacterial/anti viral
- Healthy digestion
- Anti-aging effects
How to use: Acai is usually sold in a powder, juice, or frozen gel. Adding it to smoothies is incredibly easy, but you can also find some delicious dessert recipes online!
- High concentration of vitamins and minerals
- Blood purification
- Immune support
- Kidney and liver protection
- Heart health
- High calcium and magnesium
- Helps build bones and teeth
- Helps calm anxiety and stress
How to use: Baobob is a fruit from the “Tree of Life.” Quite tart, it’s best mixed into smoothies with other ingredients. Especially tropical ones like pineapple or mango.
- Most nutrient dense superfood
- Lecithin: aids weight loss
- Balances body chemistry
- Contains all amino acids used by the body
- Increases energy
How to use: Bee Pollen isn’t found in any of our Chocolates (yet) because it’s not vegan (and we want CHOCHOLISTIC to be a chocolate for everyone). However, bee pollen is an excellent food and is best eaten over oatmeal, yogurt, granola, trail mix, or desserts.
- Brain and blood flow
- Brain function
- Magnesium: heart, brainpower, bones, flexibility
- Chromium: balance blood sugar
- Manganese: assist iron in the oxygenation of blood
- Zinc: immune system, liver, pancreas, skin, sexual fluids
- Iron (314% RDA): oxygen carrier
- Copper: blood and immunity
- Vitamin C
- Omega-6 Fatty Acids
- Focus and alertness
- Phenylethylamine (PEA) love compounds
- Anandamide: endorphins
- Tryptophan: mood and serotonin builder/stress defense shield
- Theobromine: asthma improving, antibacterial, cardiovascular, metabolism, energy
How to use: Our favorite superfood. Raw cacao comes in a few forms: powder, nibs, beans, and butter. The powder is extremely versatile for any chocolate recipe. The nibs are great for topping on breakfasts, desserts, and even salads. The beans are very bitter; if you’re taste buds are mature enough – they can make an energizing 3pm snack all by themselves. The butter is used mostly in other recipes along with the powder. Of course, our favorite way of enjoying raw cacao is combined with other superfoods in Chocholistic Chocolate.
- Vitamin C: prevents viral diseases like colds and flues
- Calcium, phosphorus, potassium, iron, niacin
- Decreases inflammation
- Helps calm nervous system: anti-stress and anti-anxiety
How to use: This tart superfruit is usually sold as a powder, so is best added to fruity smoothies.
- Boosts immune system
- Supports body’s ability to eliminate toxins
- Stimulates the central nervous system
- Maintains skin color and elasticity promoting youthful skin
How to use: Chaga is a medicinal mushroom found on Birch trees… and one of Kenzie Harrick’s favorite foods. Sold as a powder, chaga can be added to smoothies or brewed into a tea with a little raw honey for sweetness.
- Great omega 3: omega 6 ratio
- Stamina and energy
- Regulates blood pressure
- Contributes to mental health
- Bone health
- Breast health
- Prenatal health
How to use: These interesting little seeds make great toppers on salads, yogurts, and more. The most useful thing to know is that they plump up and become gelatinous in water. This makes them a fun add to fruit drinks and milks to create a “tapioca style” pudding.
- More protein gram for gram than any other food
- Highest chlorophyll content
- Over 60% protein
- Rids body of heavy metals
- Vitamins A and C
- Protects against pathogenic bacteria
- Blood building: similar structure to hemoglobin
- Strengthens immune system
- Iron: prevents anemia
- Vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6
- Prevents bad breath
How to use: Another CHOCHOLISTIC favorite. You can find chlorella in tablets, capsules, or loose powder (where you’ll get the most bang for your buck). It has a strong sea-algae taste, so combining it with better-tasting foods or swallowing the pill is preferred. Do you taste it in CHOCHOLISTIC?
- Balances blood sugar
- Boosts metabolism: weight control
- Immune system
- Protects skin from free radical damage
- Medium-chain triglycerides: aid thyroid and nervous system, provide fast energy
- Antiviral and antibacterial properties: prevents Candida infection
How to use: Coconut oil is one of the best cooking oils since high-heat won’t ruin the molecules. It can be used as a replacement for any oil to get a more tropical, sweet taste. If you’re into at-home beauty products, use coconut oil as a moisturizer, leave-in conditioner, or as an ingredient in your homemade toothpaste and deodorant.
- Stabilizes blood sugar
- Boosts energy and stamina
- Regulates metabolism
- Helps with weight loss
- Improves memory, concentration and cognitive function
- Relieves stress
- Helps recovery from exercise
How to use: You’ll find ginseng in pill form, mixed in teas, or as a powder. It has a strong, bitter taste (bitter = powerful medicine), so most people opt for the pill.
- Chinese belief the fruit “extends life”—longevity food with a powerful young female energy
- An “adaptogen” meaning it has a combination of therapeutic effects on the body
- Invigorates and strengthens your body and helps to calm stress
- “Jing” energy helps balance adrenals and kidneys resulting in increased strength, longevity, and sexual energy
- boost immune system, increase alkalinity and vitality
- liver protection
- improve eyesight and blood purity
- zinc, iron, copper, calcium, and 16 other trace minerals
- B1, B2, B6 and Vitamin E
- Polysaccharides: aid immune system, digestion and liver function
- Regulate hormones (HGH)
- Libido and sexual function
- Immune system booster
- Cardiovascular health
- Promotes healthy cholesterol levels
How to use: We love goji berries – which is why we have a flavor devoted to them. They make a wonderful snack as-is, but you can also mix them with trail mixes, granolas, yogurts, cereal, oatmeal, and more.
- Over 30% digestible protein
- Complete protein
- Iron: prevents anemia
- Omega 3, omega 6 and omega 9 fatty acids
- Vitamin E
- High in trace minerals
- No saturated fat or cholesterol
How to use: Top your salad with some hemp seeds for some great Omega-3s! These petite little seeds can be tossed with anything, and you may even want to try Hemp Protein Powder as your go-to smoothie enhancer. Hemp seeds aren’t currently in a Chocholistic flavor. But they should still be a part of your diet!
- Minerals to build bones, teeth and proteins
- Promotes good digestion
- Promotes good hormone balance
How to use: This newly-popular superfood has a nutty, sweet taste. It’s great in smoothies and desserts – like ice cream. Lucuma is found in most Chocholistic chocolates because it is just so tasty!
- Strength, stamina, and libido
- Balance hormones
- Increases oxygen in blood
- Vitamins B1, B2, C, E
- Amino acids and fatty acids
- Thyroid support through endocrine system
- Rebuilds adrenal glands (counteracts damage from caffeine)
How to use: Also nutty and sweet, maca is great in smoothies and desserts. Sold as a powder, it has a very distinguishing taste that most grow to love.
- Stabilizes blood sugar
- Digestible protein
- Calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and zinc
How to use: Found and used as a powder, this smokey and sweet superfood is good in smoothies and chocolate milkshakes.
- High in antioxidants
- Fights free radicals
- Prevents aging
- Heart healthy: protects from high blood pressure and unnatural forms of cholesterol
How to use: From dressings to marinades, olive oil is probably the most used oil in the health-sphere. Have dry skin? Use it as a face wash with warm water.
- Mood booster
- Calms anxiety/promotes happiness
- Promotes good sleep
- Helps eliminate stress
How to use: Found as an extract or in tea, passionflower is sweet and floral. Try adding some extract to you regular glass of water to spice it up. Find passionflower in our sugar-free mint chocolates and the original superfood bar.
- High anti-oxidant content
- Fights inflammation
- Cancer-preventing properties
- Protects heart, arteries, bones, blood, brain, teeth
How to use: Found as juice, powder, seeds, and more. This superfood is very tart. Smoothies are intuitive, but you could also get creative in the kitchen…. Sangria anyone? Find pomegranate in our Goji Superfruit Chocolate.
- Immune support
- Helps body return to homeostasis so it can operate at its upmost level
- Lowers blood pressure
- Helps calm anxiety
- Enhances nerve function
- Variety of vitamins and minerals
How to use: Usually found as a powder or tea, this medicinal mushroom is excellent with chocolate or honey.
- Combination of amino acids make it a complete protein
- Tones and strengthens immune system
- Increases energy levels
- Vitamin A: prevents and helps visual problems
- Vitamin B12
- Phytochemicals: slows aging process, helps body regenerate on cellular level
- Aids in weight control
How to use: Another powerful sea algae, spirulina can be used (and is found) the same way as chlorella. The algae taste may take a little getting use to, but the benefits are worth it!